Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Beaufort and Charleston......

I'm starting to feel like a travel writer!
I got a chance to take a non-working (translation: no junking allowed) trip to the low country, and this was the first stop.... the ruins (oh yeah-love that dereliction
) of the old Sheldon Church on the road to Beaufort.



Next stop is the Atlantic Ocean (deep sigh--I'm home when I'm near the water) as seen from Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort. The water was the calmest I've ever seen the Atlantic and warm for swimming, but it was also inhabited by lots of jellyfish!


(I bet Sea Witch knows what kind of jellyfish these are!)


The lighthouse on the island is beautiful, and you can climb to the top on these spiral stairs (at which time vertigo will quickly set in).


More old church ruins can be seen a short drive off the road to the island. The mausoleum with the ancient fence was so cool, and the church has the"tabby" walls used so much in the low country.



This boat had just docked in Beaufort that day...one of two boats--the "Nina" and "Pinta" exact replicas--one made entirely by hand!!

On to Magnolia Plantation outside Charleston. The live oak trees steal the show here--some 300 years old, with that moss hanging down--so awesome. The cypress trees were huge. (I had been to this place over 20 years ago, and I have to warn you, it is very expensive and too touristy now for my taste) but I was glad to see it again if only for the views on......


....the bayous and inlets!! I would be paddling around these waters all day if I lived here.....I really need to take a kayak next time I get down this way, and do just that!

Looks like scenes from the old Tarzan movies!

Since everyone has seen pics of Charleston, I didn't post any of those--we did eat at Hyman's seafood (salmon on grit cakes--so yummy), and enjoyed walking the city!


p.s. It's unbearable to think of places like these in the gulf waters that will be decimated by the oil spill. In this day of technology, it should never have happened, and those men shouldn't have died. I know I couldn't buy BP gas again.

9 comments:

Angela said...

Beautiful pictures...but didn't you get a little, tiny bit itchy to shop?

just call me jo said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of places I'll probably never go. I'd love to though. Charleston calls me every time I see pictures. I think I lived there once in another life. I agree about the oil spill. We can send a man to the moon and we can't cap that dang well...?? What?? Do something BP, FAST!! I will follow you. Love your blog.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This looks like such a beautiful area, I'd love to visit sometime!

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

Gorgeous trip. Ok Missy I am waiting for you to visit me at The Depot inb Concord. It is soooooo huge, you will be in Antique Heaven, over 100,000 sq feet of it. Hope all is well, Hugs, Janna

nostalgia*gal said...

HI! Checking in on you to see if that huge Atlanta storm got ya like it did here in Nashville. Maybe you were on your awesome trip.

I for one am LOVING your travel write ups! So glad you are sharing them as I do not imagine myself able to get to those area's.

Cheers, happy thrill of the hunt, travel and selling!
cindykay

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great pics! Looks like you're having a great time.
Maybe sometime I'll travel there.
gail

Gracie's Cottage said...

Ohhhh - we accidentally stumbled on Beaufort on a trip to Charleston & Savannah a few years ago. It's SO charming. Your beautiful photos bring back memories of one of our favorite vacations...thanks!

Retreat said...

Hey sweets, I have a question for you: The walls made of shells & concrete are called 'tabby'... what are the walkways of crushed shells called? Is that referred to as 'tabby' as well? I've been trying to remember that since my trip to Savannah, Charleston, Beaufort, and St Simons Island four years ago!!!

Deb @ Retreat

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

Beautiful pictures! I cant wait till we go back next November. It is pretty country out there. Thanks for sharing....Julian